Using SmartCloud Connect Adaptive View
Using SmartCloud Connect Adaptive view
SmartCloud Connect Add-In interface went through conceptual revising and redesign, obtaining a more streamlined and intuitive look and feel. The Adaptive Sidebar view is based on the following principles:
- All key actions and useful information are available right at hand, no more than 2-3 mouseclicks away from the Sidebar’s home screen
Fast and convenient navigation among records and between levels of detail of a selected record
No interface cluttering with any items which have no relevance to the record that the user is currently working with; the user decides what records and record categories to expand
Single-click selection of individual records or of all records of a specific type directly from the Sidebar’s home screen
Important: note that some custom Enterprise implementations of SmartCloud Connect use Classic view only, others can switch between Adaptive view and Classic view. Please refer to this article to learn how to switch between interface views.
Major distinguishing features implemented in the Sidebar’s Adaptive view:
1. All records are sorted according to their object type and folded under corresponding tab categories in the Sidebar:
Please note that the Add-In keeps the set of Sidebar tabs and records you expanded when processing your emails/events, so after you close MS Outlook or the Add-In and then open it again, you will not have to expand the necessary tabs again
Below record categories tabs, there are tabs containing special action icons:
New records: tab appears when there are unresolved (unshared in Salesforce and non-internal/blacklisted) messages in your MS Outlook. More details here.
Smart Actions: View opens statistics, Send meeting timeslots, Share my availability, Insert email template, and more. Additionally, this tab contains clues concerning required SmartCloud Connect setup actions and synchronization status as well as Observations (information about smart actions and checks carried out by the Add-In, e.g. email addresses filtered as internal/blacklisted or objects merging suggestions)
Activity Timeline: display and manage past and future activities, create Tasks and Events.
2. New records - standard Salesforce objects as well as custom added objects - can be instantly created by clicking the + (Add) icon in the Sidebar’s header or by clicking the ••• button that appears when you hover the mouse over a record category tab:
In addition, when you create a new record and there is no relevant Account or Contact registered in Salesforce to link it to (which is mandatory), you can create one directly from the account selection picklist, by clicking the Create new Account button and populating the fields of the Create Account dialog that appears.
When you need to find specific record(s) saved in Salesforce via SmartCloud Connect Add-In, in Adaptive view you simply click the Search icon located next to the Add icon in the Sidebar’s header and perform a search.
3. To further reduce the amount of mouseclicks made to perform an action with a record, a menu listing all applicable actions was implemented in each record’s header on the Sidebar’s home screen. This menu is accessed by hovering the mouse over the object type icon in a record’s header and clicking the ☰ (Menu) icon that appears in its place:
Note that the set of actions is specific for each object type and includes creating related records of other types.
4. Expanding needed record’s card right on the home screen:
It takes one mouseclick to expand/collapse a needed record’s header to a record’s card with key details and actions included in it:
A record card includes the following tabs: Related tab listing related objects (linked records and items retrieved through initial search)
On this tab you can view records, activities, and attachments associated with selected email or calendar event. This tab is available both in expanded card view and detailed record view.
for convenience of records browsing, if you switch to another item in MS Outlook with the Related tab opened in the Sidebar, the related items list will be updated with items found for the new email/event selected.
Quick memo: see feature description here
Log a Call: register in Salesforce notes summarizing the results of a phone or Internet call made to a contact
Add task: register in Salesforce a task associated with a contact that needs to be performed within specified time frame
People: (specific for Opportunity records) contacts involved in an Opportunity with their roles in it specified
Files: email’s/event’s file attachments sharing in Salesforce
5. In Adaptive Sidebar view records’ Detailed view is opened for them individually, by clicking on the > (Expand) icon in a record’s header.
Records headers’ layout was also improved, now the headers include information from the records’ 4 key fields (the required (important) fields defined in Customization settings), making records much easier to browse through within their category by their headers. In addition, you can open a related record included in the header instantly by clicking on its name.
Note that the fields included into record headers are not shown in their expanded cards (but are shown in detailed record view). Besides, pay attention that the list of fields shown on a card can be expanded by clicking the Show all important fields button below; the “Show only important fields” button was removed from record cards along with the Important fields filling progress bar.
6. In Adaptive view records search results are listed on a dedicated search results screen. On this screen, it takes only a couple of clicks to select records which you want to link an email/event to and share it in Salesforce:
Record cards or full detailed card view can also be opened from the search results screen just like from the home screen.
A related improvement: now, when search results are opened in the Sidebar and you select another item in MS Outlook, the search results are replaced with the new selected item’s associated items retrieved by initial search.
7. Selection checkboxes were added next to individual records and record categories displayed on the Sidebar’s home screen, now, when you need to select multiple records of different types to be associated with an email or event, you can do that easily, immediately from the home screen or search results screen.
After records have been associated with an email or event, they are marked with green “checked” circles replacing the checkboxes, so you will see the associations straight away when selecting an email/event.
Two related customization settings were implemented in SmartCloud Connect Customization settings to allow advanced managing of records’ selection for emails and events: Pre-select records and Disallow linking, please refer to
for more information.
Additionally, a minor use convenience setting was added in Adaptive view, Do not select “Auto-save in thread” by default, please find more information about this feature
8. Email/event attachments saving in Salesforce is more convenient with Adaptive view.
To save attachments to Salesforce, you need to expand a relevant record’s card and then either
- Open the Related tab (see the point 3), click the + (Add) button next to the Attachments category, then select the checkbox next to an attachment and click Attach at the bottom
- Or open the Files tab (see the point 3) and click Attach next to the needed attachment
Please note that in the latest version of SmartCloud Connect there is also an extra file listed among files actually attached to the email - an exact copy of the email message in .eml format which you can also save in Salesforce.
Finally, “Add a file” button for direct file attaching was added to record creation dialogs:
9. In Adaptive view, when you were modifying fields of a record/creating a record and then switched to another item in MS Outlook, the following Confirmation dialog it displayed, to prevent loss of entered data.
10. Object type-specific action icons are also included in detailed record view so you do not need to navigate between the views to perform them:
11. Minor cosmetic changes made:
The Menu (hamburger) button location changed: on the right-hand side of the sidebar’s header next to Search and Create icons
Opportunities’ progress bars are now shown in their headers. Besides, now an opportunity’s progress bar is also indicated when the opportunity is viewed in the Related objects tab
Add-In refresh button is now not in the Sidebar’s header but in the Add-In’s Menu.
- Sidebar text fonts are lighter and there is more space between UI elements
- The home screen tab “Need help / Suggest an Idea” for feedback collection was removed as it wasn’t much used