How SmartCloud Connect Works and What It Syncs¶
SmartCloud Connect is a cloud application that performs two-way synchronization of data between your Salesforce account and Exchange mailbox and gives you access to Salesforce data right from your email client. After you create a SmartCloud Connect account using a simple registration wizard and install the MS Outlook/Office 365 Add-In or the Chrome Extension, SmartCloud Connect will customize your mailbox by adding the required custom folders/labels, add its Sidebar, and start synchronizing your records on server-side.
The specifics of using the SmartCloud Connect Chrome Extension for Gmail are explained in this article.
The data that SmartCloud Connect synchronizes includes:
- Contacts. In Outlook, SmartCloud Connect creates a new contact folder named Salesforce Contacts where you can find your Salesforce contacts. To synchronize a newly created contact with Salesforce, assign it the Salesforce category or move it to the Salesforce Contacts folder.
- Calendar items. Your Salesforce and Outlook calendars are in sync. To share a new meeting or appointment in Salesforce, assign it the “Salesforce” category in Outlook or save it using the Outlook Add-In or Chrome Extension.
- Tasks. As with contacts, SmartCloud Connect creates a new task folder named “Salesforce Tasks” in which you can find your tasks. By adding a new or moving an existing task to this folder, or assigning a task the custom “Salesforce” category in MS Outlook/Office 365, you can quickly share it in Salesforce.
- Emails and Email Attachments. SmartCloud Connect creates a new folder named “Salesforce Emails” in your mailbox. Moving your emails to this folder will share them as completed tasks with Salesforce. Email attachments are also saved to Salesforce as attachments to the completed task.
Synchronization runs in the background (server-to-server) 24x7, one sync session every 30 minutes, in accordance with the set service plan.
Advanced Features Which Require Synchronization to Be Running
After you set up MS Exchange-Salesforce synchronization performed by SmartCloud Connect, you will unlock the following essential SmartCloud Connect features:
- Meeting Scheduler: Send meeting time slots, Share calendar availability
- Engagement Panel
- Saving email messages to Salesforce in Compose mode
- Saving calendar items to Salesforce
- Bidirectional syncing of calendars
- Email or calendar item auto-sharing or sharing in Salesforce of all emails in a thread, as well as all other possibilities managed in Synchronization settings
Note that when you are using SmartCloud Connect there should be no other software running that performs data transfer between MS Exchange and Salesforce API (e.g. Salesforce Lightning sync, Salesforce Inbox, Salesforce for Outlook, etc.) Running different MS Exchange – Salesforce sync applications simultaneously will cause sync conflicts and items duplication. If you encounter this kind of unexpected behavior, please check that with your Salesforce admin or, if you are a Salesforce admin, check for such software in the following places:
After you find apps which cause sync conflicts, please refer to this Salesforce help article to learn how to disable them.
Please also note that apps which use Salesforce API but do not exchange data between Salesforce and MS Exchange will not cause sync conflicts.