How to Use SmartCloud Connect Engagement Panel¶
In the latest SCC updates the Magic Pixel customer engagement tracking feature was revamped into a full-fledged Engagement panel. Note that inserted tracking code is no longer displayed in email bodies as a blinking pixel.
This tool allows you to monitor engagement of your business contacts with your emails. After you send an email with the tracking code (formerly “Magic Pixel”) inserted, the following data is collected and conveyed to you in real-time mode via SCC Engagement Panel:
- date and time (in your timezone) when the email is opened by the recipient(s)
- country/state, city - approximate geolocation where the email was opened. To see it, you need to hover the cursor over the icon
- device type from which the email was opened (computer or mobile device)
The renewed Engagement panel features the following improvements:
- each email opening is logged in reverse chronological order (the latest openings on top)
- email openings data is conveniently organized in the Engagement panel as separate expandable communication threads, in which the new emails you send are also logged
- you can mark correspondence threads of especial importance by clicking on the Pin 📌 icon next to them to view a notification in the Sidebar’s bottom toolbar on email opening. Note that the refresh rate for these notifications is 5 minutes
- clicking on a thread name in Engagement panel opens the latest email message in this thread
- a search box was implemented on top of Engagement panel, so you can quickly find needed threads by email address, subject, recipient’s name and surname
If an email containing the tracking code is sent to multiple recipients, there is no technical possibility to detect which one of them opened the email at a specific moment.
Also, please note that email openings from your local IP subnet do not get registered in Engagement panel – thus, if yourself or colleagues from your office open an email with inserted tracking code, that will not be reflected in the log.
The feature is based on adding a tiny and secure tracking code snippet into email message body’s html. When the recipients open the message in their email clients, the code is triggered; it collects the opening time, device type, and IP location data and passes this information directly to your SmartCloud Connect Add-In.
Note that In the latest SmartCloud Connect updates, the tracking code is not displayed in the email’s body as a blinking pixel.
Note that the Track Email Opens button is only available for emails opened in Compose mode.
To insert the tracking code (formerly Magic Pixel) into an email message:¶
1. Create a new message in MS Outlook/Office 365 by clicking New Email, Reply/Reply All, or Forward
2. Insert tracking code into the message in one of the following ways, depending on whether you are using MS Outlook Desktop or Web:
2.1. In MS Outlook Desktop: click the Magic wand icon (Track Email Opens) next to the Open SmartCloud Connect icon in MS Outlook ribbon
Once the tracking object is inserted, you will see a UI-less confirmation line above the message
2.2. In Outlook.com or Office 365: expand SmartCloud Connect > and select Track Email Opens
Once the object is inserted, you will see a UI-less confirmation line above the message.
To view collected tracking information in the Engagement panel:¶
- Open SCC Sidebar in MS Outlook or Office 365
- Click Engagement in the bottom toolbar.
Engagement data for a tracking code that was not triggered for over 14 days is excluded from being displayed in the Engagement panel.
Tracking All Emails and Meeting Invites You Compose¶
SmartCloud Connect allows automatically inserting the tracking code into all emails you are sending (excluding ones sent to internal/blacklisted addresses). To enable this option, enter SmartCloud Connect Customization page and select the Auto-insert MagicPixel into all composed email messages checkbox under Other settings, Application settings on the right-hand side of the page and then click Save in the slide-down panel at the top of the page to apply the customization setting.
Note that every opening by different recipients of the email message with tracking code from different devices is registered and then displayed in the Add-In, unless one of described below limitations applies.
Engagement Panel / Email Openings Statistics Limitations¶
The tracking code cannot be inserted into a plain text or rich text format message, so in order to be tracked your email must be in html; also, it will not be triggered if the recipient’s mailbox is configured to view received messages as plain text.
The feature uses the recipient’s IP address to identify their approximate location; the IP cannot be determined if the recipient is using a VPN or proxy connection, a firewall, or other privacy and security measures which block IP address capturing. For the same reason in some cases the approximate location retrieved via tracking code is not accurate.
If the IP address of the device on which the email is opened and the sender’s IP address are identical, email opening will not be registered and the location will not be logged.
If a recipient is using Gmail/G Suite email client, Outlook.com, or some other public email services, no real information about their location can be collected, so a false location based on Gmail IP addresses range will be indicated.
Some email clients may block images inserted inline into email messages, including one used in the tracking code that SmartCloud Connect uses to register email opening. For example, MS Outlook (Desktop) will not allow tracking code to trigger unless the recipient allows downloading inline images via the “Click here to download pictures. To help protect your privacy, Outlook prevented automatic download of some pictures in this message” dialog.