SmartCloud Connect Sidebar pinning mechanics explained¶
For end users’ convenience, the SCC Add-In‘s Sidebar can be “pinned” on the right-hand side of MS Outlook (both Desktop and Web/O365 implementations) user interface – that is, set to be opened automatically for emails or calendar items viewed or composed by the users. Automatic Sidebar opening is not for calendar items in any configurations.
SCC Outlook Add-In’s Sidebar can be pinned in the following configurations of MS Outlook:
- Office 365 C2R (Click-to-Run) Outlook 2016 or later for Windows (build 7668.2000 or later for users in the Current or Office Insider Channels, build 7900.xxxx or later for users in Deferred channels)
- Outlook 2016 or later for Mac (version 16.13.503 or later)
- Outlook.office.com or Outlook.com opened in your web browser; in this configuration the most efficient way to interact with SCC Sidebar is to fix it in place
- In MS Outlook for Mac and SmartCloud Connect MSI implementation SCC Sidebar pinning works in a basic manner (no separation for inspector and explorer windows).
The sidebar cannot be pinned in:
- MS Outlook 2016 for Windows installed from MSI and MS Outlook Desktop versions earlier than 2016 build 7668.2000 the Sidebar cannot be pinned, thus it has to be opened by clicking the Open SmartCloud Connect icon in Outlook ribbon for every selected email or calendar item
SCC Cloud Implementation: inspector and explorer windows pinning state separated¶
In SmartCloud Connect Cloud implementation, both in MS Outlook Desktop and Outlook on the web, SCC Sidebar pinning state is separated for the two different MS Outlook window types. These types are:
1. Inspector MS Outlook window: when an email is selected in the Inbox or Sent folder and displayed in MS Outlook’s main pane (other folders are not processed)
2. Explorer MS Outlook windows: when an email is opened in a separate window by double-clicking on it or by composing a new email, a replying, or forwarding
This separation allows the end users to set Sidebar pinning according to their preferences in different contexts.
If you close the Sidebar by clicking the x icon in its upper right corner, the pinning state will be lost.
SCC for Gmail and Salesforce Chrome Extension‘s Sidebar pinning¶
Due to Gmail web user interface Sidebar rendering peculiarities, in Gmail there is no pin function per se: the SCC Extension’s Sidebar is either opened or closed.