SmartCloud Connect for Salesforce Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)¶
1. What is SmartCloud Connect for Salesforce?¶
SmartCloud Connect is an app for MS Outlook/Office 365 and Gmail that brings the power of Salesforce right into your mailbox. It is a smart portal embedded into your personal email program, available from inside your email box, calendar, contacts and tasks tabs. It provides access to Salesforce from MS Outlook, Office.com, Gmail, and retrieves real-time information related to an email, task, or calendar event. It also allows completion of usual business tasks without ever leaving your email box to navigate to Salesforce.com.
Hosted on secure Microsoft Azure cloud infrastructure, SmartCloud Connect automatically synchronizes contacts, tasks, calendar events, etc. with Salesforce, also taking customized filters, user rights, and other parameters into account. Due to ongoing synchronization, all user devices connected to Exchange can access enterprise data and can manage or update the information from any connected device or supported platform.
SmartCloud Connect is a combination of two independent yet complementary components – a server-side synchronization engine and a client-side MS Outlook Add-In/Chrome Extension for CRM data visualization and conveying user input. The first part provides smart synchronization tools which allows business data to stay up-to-date across all MS Exchange, Office 365/Outlook.com, and Gmail connected devices; whereas the mail app allows you to work with all types of Salesforce business records adding customization to your inbox or calendar.
As a cloud based application, SmartCloud Connect does not require any special security roles or authorization to be enabled. Any user who has an active Salesforce user license and an Office 365 or MS Outlook account (on Windows, Mac, Android, or iOS) with MS Exchange can enable it without involvement of Salesforce and Exchange administrators.
2. On what platforms can I run SmartCloud Connect for Salesforce?¶
SmartCloud Connect is a multiplatform cloud solution, you can run it in MS Outlook/Office 365 on Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, or in a supported web browser on any platform. The full scope of SmartCloud Connect features unfolds when it is used with MS Outlook 2013, 2016, 2019 on Windows or MacOS and in Office 365/Outlook.com running in a browser, however the product also provides solid and convenient Salesforce interaction when used on mobile platforms. Finally, it is fully compatible with Gmail via the Chrome Extension.
Note that SCC user interface (Sidebar) is rendered identically in all its implementations: the “cloud” implementation in MS Outlook Desktop, Outlook.com and Office 365 as well as in the “desktop” implementation. The Gmail implementation is slightly different.
3. How can I install the product? Is there a trial version to try out?¶
Refer to the following articles to learn how to install and run SmartCloud Connect:
- On Office 365
- All configurations on MS Outlook for Windows
- The special “desktop” (.msi) implementation
- The Chrome Extension to work with Gmail (beta)
- On MS Outlook for iOS and Android
- Mass product deployment via Office 365 in your company
- Mass product deployment via MS Exchange in your company
There is a trial version of the product available for download; trial limitations: the number of items which can be shared, 30 days of use (extendable on request sent to our Sales team). If you don’t want to use a Salesforce account or Salesforce sandbox to try out SmartCloud Connect features, you can run it with sample data.
I’ve installed SmartCloud Connect Add-In and I’m prompted to log in into it. What login and password should I enter? I wasn’t provided with any special login credentials for SCC.¶
SmartCloud Connect login is based on Salesforce Single Sign-On authentication, the credentials to be used is your Salesforce login and password; they are entered into a Salesforce SSO window which is opened in your browser.
4. Is data processed via SmartCloud Connect transferred and stored securely? What servers and protocols are used by the product?¶
SmartCloud Connect does not store any correspondence or CRM data processed over it, it solely transfers data between your email server and Salesforce over secure Microsoft Azure protocols; your email service and Salesforce access credentials are not kept in SmartCloud Connect, the product’s interactions with your email server and Salesforce are authorized via OAuth 2.0 protocol on SmartCloud Connect setup. Please refer to this article for more information on our Privacy and Security standards. Microsoft Azure Datacenters involved in data transfer over SCC are located in Southeastern USA. Note that the servers’ location does not noticeably affect data transfer speed regardless of the end users’ location, since their mail servers belong to Microsoft Exchange/Office 365 or Gmail infrastructures and all data transfer is carried out on the server side.
5. Does the ongoing SmartCloud Connect synchronization consume much Internet traffic?¶
Since data exchange is carried out between your email server and Salesforce server while your local email client and the Add-In/Chrome Extension only serve to display data and convey your choices and actions, synchronization does not consume any noticeable amount of your local internet traffic.
6. Does the ongoing SmartCloud Connect synchronization generate many Salesforce API calls?¶
No, it does not. SmartCloud Connect has integrated mechanisms which prevent the daily Saleasforce API calls limit from being reached.
7. SmartCloud Connect creates multiple copies of the same calendar event on sync sessions, what should I do to fix that?¶
This behavior and other kinds of unexpected sync behavior usually indicate that there is other software transfering data between your email service and Salesforce API, causing data transfer conflicts with SmartCloud Connect. When you are using SmartCloud Connect there should be no other software running that performs data transfer between your email service and Salesforce API (e.g. Salesforce Lightning sync, Salesforce Inbox, Salesforce for Outlook, etc.) Running different MS Exchange – Salesforce sync applications simultaneously will cause sync conflicts and items duplication. If you encounter this kind of unexpected behavior, please check that with your Salesforce admin or, if you are a Salesforce admin, check for such software in the following places:
After you find apps which cause sync conflicts, please refer to this Salesforce Help article to learn how to disable them. Please also note that apps which use Salesforce API but do not exchange data between Salesforce and MS Exchange will not cause sync conflicts.
8. How is SmartCloud Connect priced? What subscription plans are available? Are there custom tailored solutions available?¶
Please refer to this article for detailed information on product plans and pricing. We also offer custom modifications of SmartCloud Connect to suit our Enterprise customers’ preferences.
You can get the Add-In from Office Store or AppSource; don’t hesitate to contact our Sales directly with any specific questions.
9. What is the difference between SmartCloud Connect Adaptive view and Classic view?¶
10. Can I use the same Salesforce/SmartCloud Connect account to process messages from my corporate mail via the MS Outlook/Office 365 Add-In/Chrome Extension and from my Gmail via the Chrome Extension?¶
No, emails and events processing as well as SmartCloud Connect sync are tied to a specific email account, so you would need to create two separate accounts within your Salesforce Org to do that.
11. Things are clear about creating new Salesforce records, updating them, establishing associations among records, and searching among them… how can I delete a Salesforce record via the Outlook Add-In/Chrome Extension?¶
To prevent unintended data deletion, SmartCloud Connect does not offer a direct possibility to delete a record from Salesforce, the indirect user-initiated ones being
- calendar event deletion syncing
- one-way synchronization
- duplicate records merging via the Add-In/Extension, which is based on Salesforce records merging
As a workaround, to quickly delete an email or event from the CRM, you can open it in Salesforce by clicking the icon next to an object related to it and delete it directly in Salesforce.
12. How does SmartCloud Connect match MS Exchange emails, calendar items, tasks, and contacts with Salesforce objects?¶
Please see a comprehensive explanation of the matching patterns in this article.
13. Dedicated Salesforce Emails, Salesforce Tasks, Salesforce Contacts folders in MS Outlook created by SCC Sync¶
What are the “Salesforce Emails”, “Salesforce Contacts” folders and the custom “Salesforce” category created in my MS Outlook after SmartCloud Connect synchronization is activated? Why do they appear again if I remove them, even though the SCC Sidebar is not opened or the Add-In is disabled?
These custom folders are created in MS Outlook on the very first SmartCloud Connect sync session after sync activation; to get an email, calendar item, contact, or task shared in Salesforce by SCC synchronization, you need to move it to the corresponding custom folder or assign it the custom Salesforce category in MS Outlook. This items handling mechanic is essential to SmartCloud Connect synchronization, that’s why these folders and the category are automatically re-created on the following sync session, if they were removed. These folders and the category work completely independently from the Add-In; they also might temporarily disappear after customization reapplying, before synchronization creates them afresh.
14. What onboarding materials/user guides are available for the product?¶
This Knowledge Base is the ultimate source of general information as well as specific guidelines, in-depth explanations, and administration instructions for SmartCloud Connect for Salesforce. A selection of Knowledge Base articles can be exported to .docx or .pdf documents for your specific needs, upon request.
15. Can Invisible Solutions conduct SmartCloud Connect use trainings for our company?¶
Remote trainings as well as onsite trainings (for Enterprise customers) can be arranged. Contact our Support Team to request product training.
16. I’ve added a field to an object in Salesforce and I do not see this field in SmartCloud Connect, how to enable it?¶
To include the new added field into SmartCloud Connect processing scope, open SCC Customization page and enable the added object field via its central pane. Also note that after you add a new object field in Salesforce, it may take up to 4 hours for the new field to be added to SCC Customization central pane; if you want to force this update, click Save at the top of Customization page without making any changes - that will initiate refreshing of objects and fields in SCC Customization configuration.
17. Our Org uses custom Salesforce object(s) and I do not see these objects in SmartCloud Connect, how to enable them?¶
Please refer to this Knowledge Base article for complete information on how to add custom objects to SCC handling scope.
18. I have made adjustments in a calendar item in MS Outlook/Salesforce, but they did not get mirrored on the other end. How to fix that?¶
Calendar items syncing is carried out by SCC sync component on sync sessions performed every 30 minutes on the server side. What to check if calendar item update on either end is not reflected on the other:
- Try forcing SCC sync; make sure that SCC sync is set up and active (not paused or suspended due to an error)
- Check that the calendar item being synced does not belong to the exceptions which do not get mirror-synced
- Calendar items which SCC sync cannot share:
• MS Exchange/Office 365 all-day events which have a duration of over 24 hours (a Salesforce limitation)
• Recurring all-day events • Calendar items which are set in problematic time zones
- In addition, there are customer-specific one-way synchronization options – check with your local Salesforce admin whether that is applicable for your Org
19. I use several email accounts for my business correspondence and I want to connect both of them to my Salesforce account? How can I do that?¶
SmartCloud Connect is based on the following fundamental principle: one email account is connected to one Salesforce account. Therefore, the above scenario is impossible to implement. For the same reason several Salesforce accounts cannot be connected to a single email account via SCC.
However, if such scenario is required, as a workaround you can set up your email accounts each connected to a separate Salesforce account within the same Org (requires an additional Salesforce and SmartCloud Connect license). The same concerns using SCC Chrome Extension for Gmail.
Also note that SCC can automatically recognize and match different MS Exchange/Office 365 alliases used for the same email account.