Using SmartCloud Connect for Salesforce with Gmail via the Chrome Extension¶
Using the Extension’s Sidebar¶
The Extension’s pane in Gmail is mostly identical to SmartCloud Connect Sidebar in MS Outlook; it includes the same set of controls and information fields with the same functions. Therefore, you may make use of the guides on using SmartCloud Connect Add-In interface (guide 1, guide 2) to learn how to work with the Chrome Extension. Similarly, Customization and Synchronization settings of the Chrome Extension mirror ones available for the MS Outlook Add-In.
After you sign in to your Gmail box, you the SmartCloud Connect extension will be opened in the pane on the right-hand side of the Gmail window opened in Chrome browser.
To show or hide the SmartCloud Connect extension pane, do the following:
- In Gmail or Google Calendar, click the Salesforce button.
You can interact with Salesforce via the Extension while:
- Viewing an email message, either in Inbox, Sent Mail, or any other folder
- Composing a new email message
- Viewing or creating an event in Google Calendar
After you set up the Chrome SmartCloud Connect Extension to interact with your Gmail box, you can perform the following actions
Sharing Emails in Salesforce¶
Please note that the Extension does not process email messages marked with checkbox ticks in Gmail interface, instead it requires actually opening every email to process them.
There are four ways to share an email from Gmail to Salesforce:
1. Using the Save button in the Extension’s panel (direct/manual saving)
- Select an email from Gmail Inbox or Sent folder or compose a new message
- Mark Contact(s), Account(s), or other related Salesforce objects to be associated with the email in the Extension’s Sidebar
- Click Save in SmartCloud Connect Extension’s window
- the Save this email to Salesforce dialog will appear
In this dialog, you can set several aspects how the email shall be shared in Salesforce:
1. Using the Search Salesforce records field, select People and Business Salesforce object(s) to be linked to the email in Salesforce via the Related To field of the resulting Task or EmailMessage items
2. (optional) Select email attachments to be stored in Salesforce along with the message
3. (optional) Modify the Subject for the matching Task/Email message created in Salesforce
4. Set the Priority for the Task/Email message
5. Set the Status for the Task/Email message (set to Completed by default)
Unlike saving emails in compose mode in MS Outlook which is only performed by SmartCloud Connect synchronization, with the Chrome Extension Gmail/GSuite messages can be shared in Salesforce directly and immediately using the Save button at any point in view or compose modes.
When a Gmail email is saved via SCC, the Activity date/time (that is, the matching Task object’s completion date/time or the matching EmailMessage object’s Sent date/time) are set based on the date/time then the Chrome Extension’s Sidebar was opened in Gmail to handle this email.
2. By moving (or dragging-and-dropping) the email you need to save in Salesforce to the custom Salesforce Emails folder. This folder/label is created and set as the marker for item autosharing in Salesforce by SmartCloud Connect synchronization
3. By assigning the email the blue Salesforce Emails label
The other label/Gmail subfolder added to your mailbox on SmartCloud Connect installation is Tracked successfully; this label/subfolder marks emails and events which have been successfully autosaved in Salesforce by SmartCloud Connect synchronization.
In the cases 2 and 3 email sharing is performed by SmartCloud Connect synchronization, that is, not instantly but on the following sync session (within 1-30 minutes). The Task/Email Message object created this way will be automatically linked to primary related objects retrieved by SmartCloud Connect initial search.
Sharing Archived emails¶
Syncing Calendar Events in Salesforce¶
Unlike sharing MS Outlook calendar items via SmartCloud Connect Add-In, sharing Google Calendar items is performed instantly, that is, it does not require waiting for a sync session.
Sharing Google calendar events in Salesforce can be done in three ways:
1. Using the Save button in the Extension’s panel (immediate/manual saving)
1.1. Open the calendar event you want to sync with your Salesforce calendar
1.3. Click Save at the top of SmartCloud Connect Extension’s Sidebar. The Save this event to Salesforce dialog will appear
2. By marking the event with the Blueberry color – this color marking is not to be confused with Gmail labels.
In the latest SmartCloud Connect updates, the event will be shared in Salesforce within 1-3 minutes owing to the Insta-Sync feature. Note that after you set up SmartCloud Connect, the Blueberry blue color is automatically set as the marker for item auto-sharing in Salesforce by SmartCloud Connect synchronization
Events handling features presently unavailable in SmartCloud Connect Chrome Extension¶
Several calendar items handling mechanics available in SmartCloud Connect MS Outlook/Office 365 Sidebar are presently not implemented in the Chrome Extension:
- No sharing of series of recurring events supported
- No auto-sharing of files attached to events: attached files sharing can be performed only along with events saved using the Save button (see point (1) above)
- Send meeting time slots / Share calendar availability are presently unavailable
- Setting special event reminders is not available
- Only event organizers (but not attendees) can save events using color-coding (see point (2) above)
Sharing Contacts in Salesforce¶
You can share a Google contact in Salesforce in the following way:
By assigning the contact you need to share in Salesforce to the custom Salesforce Contacts label. This folder/label is created and set as the marker for item autosharing in Salesforce by SmartCloud Connect synchronization
Searching for and creating Salesforce objects via the Extension¶
You can search for or create Salesforce objects in the Extension in the same ways as in SmartCloud Connect MS Outlook/Office 365 Add-In. Please refer to this article for detailed information on these functions.
For information on how to install the SmartCloud Connect extension in your Chrome browser, refer to the article Signing Up with SmartCloud Connect for Salesforce and Gmail.
How to refresh the Sidebar¶
>>> Click to see a screenshot <<<
Differences between the Exchange/Office 365 Add-In implementation and the Chrome Extension for Gmail¶
The Extension does not require additional Gmail singing-in to access the Sync settings page
Presently, the Extension only supports the following SCC Smart Actions:
Book Me (Share Calendar Availability), Time slots, Engagement panel (only auto-insertion of the tracking code is supported, and it is inserted only while the Extensions Sidebar is opened), Salesforce Templates, Observations, Reports
Presently, the Extension does not support automatic saving of all emails in a communication thread
- The Extension can save emails in Compose mode immediately in Salesforce, independently from SCC Sync; the resulting Salesforce Task’s or EmailMessage’s Date and time field are set to the Date and time when the Sidebar was opened to save it
- Smart description is not supported
- Google Tasks syncing is not supported
- No sharing in Salesforce of inline attachments (also not supported in the Exchange/Office 365 Add-In implementation). However, the Chrome Extension can share in Salesforce files sent as Google drive links
- No “default attachment” (an email’s exact copy in .eml format) saving available
- No calendar events insta-sync available