Using SmartCloud Connect for Salesforce with Gmail via the Chrome Extension¶
SCC for Salesforce and Gmail works with both Gmail and G Suite.
SmartCloud Connect for Salesforce ensures seamless integration between Salesforce and your Gmail mailbox/Google Calendar. After adding the SmartCloud Connect Extension to Google Chrome, you will be able to unfold all power of Salesforce right from your Gmail box:
- Instantly get access to the Salesforce records that are relevant to your currently opened email message/calendar events
- Create new or search for existing Salesforce records right from your Gmail mailbox
- Share emails and email attachments from Gmail to Salesforce
- Create new or edit existing Salesforce tasks
- Synchronize Google Calendar events with Salesforce
- Synchronize your Google Contacts with Salesforce
- Use the Salesforce collaboration tool Chatter
- Customize the SmartCloud Connect for Salesforce extension
Besides your Gmail box SmartCloud Connect works with your Google Calendar and Google Contacts in order to synchronize your business email correspondence, scheduled business events, and selected business contacts with your Salesforce account. Note that this two-sided data transfer performed by SmartCloud Connect is ruled by the principles of privacy and security; the data is not stored or shared anywhere and is transferred directly between Google and Salesforce over secure Microsoft Azure servers.
The Extension’s pane in Gmail is mostly identical to SmartCloud Connect Sidebar in MS Outlook; it includes the same set of controls and information fields with the same functions. Therefore, you may make use of the guides on using SmartCloud Connect Add-In interface (guide 1, guide 2) to learn how to work with the Chrome Extension. Similarly, Customization and Synchronization settings of the Chrome Extension mirror ones available for the MS Outlook Add-In.
Differences between the Exchange/Office 365 Add-In implementation and the Chrome Extension for Gmail¶
The Extension does not require additional Gmail singing-in to access the Sync settings page
Presently, the Extension does not support the special SCC Smart Actions features, with the exception of the features Templates, Observations, Reports, which are supported. The Time slots, Book me, and Engagement panel (Magic Pixel) features are planned to be implemented in future Chrome Extension updates
Presently, the Extension does not support automatic saving of all messages in a conversation thread
Smart description is not supported
Google Tasks syncing is not supported
No sharing of inline attachments or Google drive linked files (same as in the Exchange/Office 365 implementation)
No “default attachment” (an email’s exact copy in .eml format) saving available
No calendar events insta-sync available
After signing in to Gmail or Google Calendar, the SmartCloud Connect extension will be opened in the pane on the right-hand side of the Gmail window opened in Chrome browser.
To show or hide the SmartCloud Connect extension pane, do the following:
- In Gmail or Google Calendar, click the Salesforce button.
You can interact with Salesforce via the Extension while:
- Viewing an email message, either in Inbox, Sent Mail, or any other folder
- Composing a new email message
- Viewing or creating an event in Google Calendar
After you set up the Chrome SmartCloud Connect Extension to interact with your Gmail box, you can perform the following actions
Sharing Emails in Salesforce¶
Please note that the Extension does not handle email messages marked with checkbox ticks in Gmail interface, instead it requires actually opening every email to process them.
There are four ways to share an email from Gmail to Salesforce:
1. Using the Save button in the Extension’s panel (direct/manual saving)
- Select an email from Gmail Inbox or Sent folder or compose a new message
- Mark Contact(s), Account(s), or other related Salesforce objects to be associated with the email in the Extension’s panel
- Click Save in SmartCloud Connect Extension’s window
- the Save current email as an Activity in Salesforce dialog will appear
In this dialog, you can specify several parameters defining how the email shall be shared:
- Set the Subject for the Task/Email message created in Salesforce
- Set the Priority for the Task/Email message
- Set the Status for the Task/Email message (set to Completed by default)
- Check or change the primary object (Contact or Lead) to be linked to the Task/Email message in Salesforce in the Name field
- (optional) Specify additional object(s) to be linked to the email in Salesforce via the Related To field
- (optional) Select email attachments to be saved in Salesforce along with it
Unlike saving emails in compose mode in MS Outlook which is only performed by SmartCloud Connect synchronization, with the Chrome Extension new messages can be shared in Salesforce directly using the Save button at any point.
2. By moving (or dragging-and-dropping) the email you need to share in Salesforce to the custom Salesforce Emails folder. This folder/label is created and set as the marker for item autosharing in Salesforce by SmartCloud Connect synchronization
3. By assigning the email the blue Salesforce Emails label
The other label/Gmail subfolder added to your mailbox on SmartCloud Connect installation is Tracked successfully; this label/subfolder marks emails and events which have been successfully autosaved in Salesforce by SmartCloud Connect synchronization.
In the cases 2 and 3 email sharing is performed by SmartCloud Connect synchronization, that is, not instantly but on the following sync session (within 10-20 minutes). The Task/Email Message object created this way will be automatically linked to primary related objects retrieved by SmartCloud Connect initial search.
Sharing Events in Salesforce¶
Unlike sharing MS Outlook calendar items via SmartCloud Connect Add-In, sharing Google Calendar items is performed instantly, that is, it does not require waiting for a sync session.
Sharing Google calendar events in Salesforce can be done in three ways:
- Using the Save button in the Extension’s panel (immediate/manual saving)
- Open the calendar event
- Mark Contact(s), Account(s), or other related Salesforce objects in the Extension. If none exists, create them.
- Click Save in SmartCloud Connect Extension’s window
- Check or change the primary object to be linked to the Event in Salesforce in the Name field in the Save current event as an activity in Salesforce dialog that appears
- (optional) Specify additional object(s) to be linked to the event in Salesforce via the Related To field
- By marking the event with the Peacock blue color - this color marking is not to be confused with Gmail labels.
In the latest SmartCloud Connect updates, the event will be shared in Salesforce within 1-3 minutes owing to the Insta-Sync feature. After you set up SmartCloud Connect, the Peacock blue color is set as the marker for item autosharing in Salesforce by SmartCloud Connect synchronization
- SmartCloud Connect can be set up to share all Calendar events automatically on synchronization sessions. Please refer to this article for detailed information on these settings.
Events handling features presently unavailable in SmartCloud Connect Chrome Extension¶
Several calendar items handling mechanics available in SmartCloud Connect MS Outlook/Office 365 Sidebar are presently not implemented in the Chrome Extension:
- No sharing of series of recurring events supported
- No auto-sharing of files attached to events: attached files sharing can be performed only along with events saved using the Save button (see point (1) above)
- Send meeting time slots / Share calendar availability are presently unavailable
- Setting special event reminders is not available
- Only event organizers (but not attendees) can save events using color-coding (see point (2) above)
Sharing Contacts in Salesforce¶
You can share a Google contact in Salesforce in the following way:
By assigning the contact you need to share in Salesforce to the custom Salesforce Contacts label. This folder/label is created and set as the marker for item autosharing in Salesforce by SmartCloud Connect synchronization
Searching for and creating Salesforce objects via the Extension¶
You can search for or create Salesforce objects in the Extension in the same ways as in SmartCloud Connect MS Outlook/Office 365 Add-In. Please refer to this article for detailed information on these functions.
For information on how to install the SmartCloud Connect extension in your Chrome browser, refer to the article Signing Up with SmartCloud Connect for Salesforce and Gmail.