Managing Calendar Events (Classic view)
You can save new events to Salesforce or share existing events between Salesforce and your email application. Events that are assigned to you will also appear in your calendar in email clients that offer Exchange calendar support. Event reminders will also be shared with your desktop and mobile clients so you will never miss an important meeting when on the go.
Sharing a Calendar Event with Salesforce¶
You can share a calendar event with Salesforce by doing one of the following:
- If you have created a new event in Outlook, you can share this event with Salesforce by assigning it to the “Salesforce” category. Such events will be added to Salesforce during the next synchronization session.
- In the SmartCloud Connect Add-In/Chrome Extension, you can also easily associate a calendar event with other records by clicking Save this Eventin the record’s card or Save on the ribbon (note that to be able to associate an event in Google Calendar, you need open that event first).
For calendar events created in Outlook, only the events from the past two weeks (14 days) and ones that are scheduled for up to four weeks (30 days) in the future will be shared in Salesforce. Calendar events that do not fall within this interval will be omitted during synchronization.
- In the SmartCloud Connect Add-In/Chrome Extension, in the New list, select Event. After you create the event, it will be automatically shared with Salesforce and assigned (in Outlook) to the “Salesforce” category.
Sharing an Event with Multiple Records¶
SmartCloud Connect supports the Salesforce’s “Shared Activities” feature. If not enabled, when you share an activity with multiple records, SmartCloud Connect will create identical activities for each of the records. However, if the “Shared Activities” feature is enabled, SmartCloud Connect will save a single activity, and multiple records will have this activity on their activity history.
To activate this feature, select the Allow Users to Relate Multiple Contacts to Tasks and Events check box in “Activity Settings” in Salesforce.
Editing a Calendar Event¶
To edit event details, do one of the following:
- In the SmartCloud Connect Add-In/Chrome Extension, in the event card, click Edit. If you want to edit an event associated with the record, in the record card, click Event (or Events), and then click the event you want to edit.
Then, to edit the event field, click the Pencil icon.
- Open the event in Outlook and edit the event details. If this event is assigned to the “Salesforce” category, your changes will automatically by synchronized with Salesforce.
Opening an Event in Salesforce¶
To open an event, do one of the following:
- In the SmartCloud Connect Add-In/Chrome Extension, select the event.
- Click the ellipsis buttonand then click Open in Salesforce.
Scheduling a Meeting with an Email Message¶
SmartCloud Connect helps you avoid lengthy email conversations when organizing a meeting. You can schedule a meeting with your customers with just a single email message – simply select the time slots that work for your and send them in an invitation email. Once your customer receives the email and chooses the suitable time slot, the corresponding activity will appear in both your and your customer’s calendar. For your convenience, SmartCloud Connect can also automatically save such activities to Salesforce.
To schedule a meeting using an email message, do the following:
When composing a new message, make sure that one or more recipient names are specified in the To/CC fields. Then, in the SmartCloud Connect Add-In/Extension, click the Envelope button.
In the Suggest meeting time dialog box, do the following:
- In the Event title field, enter the name for the event.
- In the Event location field, specify the event location.
- Select the Share with Salesforce check box if you want to save this activity to Salesforce. If selected, this activity will be saved to Salesforce and associated with the contact specified in the To/CC field.
- If you want to exclude some email recipients from the list of persons who can accept the invitation, use the X button to remove these recipients from the Invited attendees list. 3. Click Open Calendar. 4. In the calendar that appears, select one or more time slots that you want to propose for the meeting. Note that you can see both your attendees’ (if they shared their calendars with you) and your own availability – the time slots on which the invitees are busy will be shown in red, while the times when you are busy will be shown in blue.
- Click the Envelope button again to add the selected time slots to the Suggest meeting time dialog box.
- In the Slots in timezone list, set the time zone for the meeting. By default, SmartCloud Connect uses the time zone selected in your Outlook preferences.
7. Click the Suggest meeting time button. Your suggested time slots will be added to your email message.
- When you are ready, send the message.
Once the recipient receives the invitation message and clicks the link, the following page opens where he or she can choose the time slot:
After the time slot is chosen, this event is automatically added to both the recipient’s and your calendar.