Managing Contacts (Classic view)
With SmartCloud Connect, you can save new contacts and leads to Salesforce or share existing contacts between Salesforce and your mail application. You can then associate various activities with the contact, like phone calls or follow-ups. Leads can be converted to contacts too.
Sharing a Contact with Salesforce¶
Share a contact with Salesforce by doing one of the following:
- If a new person is referenced in your email, you can add this person to Salesforce as a contact or as a lead by clicking New Contact or New Lead in the card (In the SmartCloud Connect Add-In/Chrome Extension), respectively.
- If you have created a new contact in Outlook, you can share this contact with Salesforce by either assigning it the “Salesforce” category, or moving this contact to the “Salesforce Contacts” folder.
Note for Outlook for Mac users: Be aware that, by default, when you assign a contact to a category, all messages that you receive from that contact are automatically assigned to the same category. Thereby, all email messages received from a shared contact (that is from a contact that is assigned to the “Salesforce” category) will also be assigned to that category and, as a result, will be automatically shared with Salesforce during the synchronization.
To turn off this preference, on the Outlook menu, click Preferences, click Categories, and then clear the Assign categories to messages from categorized contacts check box.
- In the SmartCloud Connect Add-In/Chrome Extension, in the Create n*ew* list, select Contact. After you create the contact, it will be automatically shared with Salesforce.
You can also access contacts stored in Salesforce:
- If the contact mentioned in your email is also available in Salesforce, the corresponding contact card will be displayed in the SmartCloud Connect Add-In/Chrome Extension.
- Salesforce contacts that match the synchronization filters (you can change these settings in the Dashboard) can be found in the “Salesforce Contact” folder in your contacts.
Editing a Shared Contact¶
To edit contact details, do one of the following:
- In the contact card in the SmartCloud Connect Add-In, click Edit.
- Open the contact in Outlook and edit contact details as needed. If this contact is assigned the “Salesforce” category or located in the “Salesforce Contacts” folder, your changes will be automatically synchronized with Salesforce.
Changes that were made to the contact via the SmartCloud Connect Add-In/Chrome Extension will appear immediately in Salesforce, while changes made via Outlook will appear in Salesforce only after the next synchronization.
Adding an Email to the Contact’s Activity History¶
To add an email to the contact’s activity history (as a completed task), do one of the following:
- In the contact card in the SmartCloud Connect Add-In/Chrome Extension, click Save this Email.
- Assign the email the “Salesforce” category (using the Categorize command in Outlook).
- Move the email to the “Salesforce Emails” folder.
Opening a Contact in Salesforce¶
To open a contact in Salesforce, do one of the following:
- In the contact card in the SmartCloud Connect Add-In/Chrome Extension, click the ellipsis buttonand then click Open in Salesforce.
- Open the contact in Outlook and click the URL specified in the Web page address box.
Assigning Other Activities to a Contact¶
You can assign standard Salesforce activities or associate a contact with an opportunity or support case. To assign an activity or associate a contact with other records, do the following:
- In the contact card in the SmartCloud Connect Add-In/Chrome Extension, click the ellipsis button and then select the activity you need.
Converting a Lead to a Contact¶
If there is a chance of further negotiations with a lead, this lead can be converted to a contact. On conversion, this contact can be associated with an account or opportunity. The lead-to-contact conversion procedure is the same as if you were converting a lead to a contact using Salesforce.
Once a lead is converted to a contact, it cannot be converted back to a lead.
To convert a lead to a contact, do the following:
- In the lead card in the SmartCloud Connect Add-In/Chrome Extension, click the ellipsis button and then select Convert to Contact.
- In the Convert
to Contactdialog box, perform the following actions:
- In the Account field, enter the name of the account to associate the contact with.
- In the Converted Status field, select the status of the converted lead.
- In the Opportunity field, either enter the name of the opportunity (if you want to create one) or leave it empty.
- If you want the owner of the lead to receive the conversion notification email, select the Send Notification Email check box.
- Click Convert. The lead will be converted to a contact.