Managing Emails (Classic view)
You can save your email messages and email attachments to Salesforce. When you save an email message, it is saved as a completed task in Salesforce; an email attachment is saved as a task attachment. You can also compose new emails from existing Salesforce email templates.
Sharing an Email in Salesforce¶
You can share your emails with Salesforce. As the email has been shared, it appears as a completed task in Salesforce. This task will also be automatically associated with other relevant Salesforce records that are mentioned in the email message.
If no relevant records were found in Salesforce, SmartCloud Connect will first create a lead (or leads) based on the email addresses specified in the To, From, or CC fields. A task based on your email message will then be associated with these newly created leads.
In Outlook, you cannot assign categories to a new email, thus making sharing via the assignment to the “Salesforce” category impossible from the compose window. However, you can still save this email as an activity by using the SmartCloud Connect Add-In/Chrome Extension.
To share an email, do one of the following:
- Assign the email to the “Salesforce” category (by using the Categorize command in Outlook).
- Move the email you want to share to the “Salesforce Emails” folder. After the email is synchronized, it will be placed back to the “Inbox” or “Sent Items” folder, depending on whether this email was sent or received.
- In the related record card in the SmartCloud Connect Add-In/Chrome Extension, click Save this Email, select the attachments (if any) you want to save with the task, and then click Record in the dialog box that appears. The email message will be saved as a task for that related record.
- In Microsoft Outlook, you can also save the current email for all related Salesforce records (if any). To do it, on the Home tab (or on the Message tab in the message window), in the Salesforce group, click Quick add to Salesforce.
Your email will be saved as a completed task:
- For related contacts, leads, and accounts
- For all related cases and opportunities which are not closed, where you are the owner, and which belong to the accounts associated with related contacts
- For all custom objects that contain the email address found in the message’s To, CC, or BCC field
If you skipped the SmartCloud Connect registration or did not complete the registration wizard, you will not be able to share your emails with Salesforce via the “Salesforce Emails” folder or by assigning them to the “Salesforce” category.
Sharing an Email with Multiple Records¶
SmartCloud Connect supports the Salesforce’s “Shared Activities” feature. If not enabled, when you share an email with multiple records, SmartCloud Connect will create identical tasks for each of the records to make sure all of them have the email on their activity history. However, if the “Shared Activities” feature is enabled, SmartCloud Connect will store the email in a single task, and multiple records will be related to that single task.
To activate this feature, select the Allow Users to Relate Multiple Contacts to Tasks and Events check box in “Activity Settings” in Salesforce.
Adding Email Attachments to a Record¶
If your email contains attachments, you can save them directly to any related record, whether it is a contact, account, or opportunity.
To save the email attachment to a record, do the following:
- In the record card in the SmartCloud Connect Add-In/Chrome Extension, click Add file.
- In the dialog box that appears, select the documents you want to attach and click Attach.
Using Salesforce Email Templates¶
Email templates help you save time and improve communication with your customers. With the SmartCloud Connect Add-In/Chrome Extension, you can use existing Salesforce templates when composing new emails in your email client. SmartCloud Connect will also help you fill in your email template with data from the relevant record or email message.
To create an email from a Salesforce email template, do the following:
- In the contact card in the SmartCloud Connect Add-In/Chrome Extension, click the ellipsis button and then click CRM Mail Templates.
In the CRM Mail Templates dialog box, perform the following actions:
In the Template name box, select the Salesforce email template to use.
- In the Recipient record box, specify the contact or lead to whom the email message is addressed.
In the Related to record box, specify the record your new email will be related to (for example, a support case).
Click Insert to create a new email from the specified template.
Configuring Email Synchronization Settings¶
You can configure some of the email synchronization settings like automatic sharing of incoming and outgoing email messages in SmartCloud Connect. For more information on these settings, see this article.