How SmartCloud Connect Works and What It Syncs¶
SmartCloud Connect is a cloud application that performs two-way synchronization of data between your Salesforce account and Exchange mailbox and gives you access to Salesforce data right from your email client. After you create your SmartCloud Connect account using a simple registration wizard, SmartCloud Connect will customize your mailbox by adding the required folders and then will start synchronizing your records in the background.
For Microsoft Outlook users (Windows, Web-based, Macs and mobiles), SmartCloud Connect installs the Outlook Add-In that brings Salesforce context and Chatter into the Outlook. In addition, if you use Google Apps, you can also add the SmartCloud Connect for Salesforce and Gmail extension to your Google Chrome browser (currently, without the synchronization feature).
The data that SmartCloud Connect synchronizes includes:
- Contacts. In Outlook, SmartCloud Connect creates a new contact folder named “Salesforce Contacts” where you can find your Salesforce contacts. To synchronize a newly created contact with Salesforce, assign it the “Salesforce” category or move it to the “Salesforce Contacts” folder.
- Calendar Events. Your Salesforce and Outlook calendars are in sync. To share a new meeting or appointment in Salesforce, assign it the “Salesforce” category in Outlook or save it using the Outlook Add-In or Chrome Extension.
- Tasks. As with contacts, SmartCloud Connect creates a new task folder named “Salesforce Tasks” in which you can find your tasks. Adding a new or moving an existing task to this folder, or assigning a task the “Salesforce” category will share it in Salesforce.
- Emails and Email Attachments. SmartCloud Connect creates a new folder named “Salesforce Emails” in your mailbox. Moving your emails to this folder will share them as completed tasks with Salesforce. Email attachments are also saved to Salesforce as attachments to the completed task.
Synchronization runs in the background 24x7 in accordance with the service plan of your choice.
Advanced Features Which Require Synchronization to Be Enabled
After you set up MS Exchange-Salesforce synchronization performed by SmartCloud Connect, you will unlock the following essential SmartCloud Connect features:
- Scheduling Assistant: Send Meeting Time Slots, Share Calendar Availability
- Magic Pixel
- Saving email messages to Salesforce in Compose mode
- Saving calendar items to Salesforce
- Two-sided syncing of changes in calendar items
- Email or calendar item auto-sharing or sharing in Salesforce all messages in a thread, as well as all other actions activated in Synchronization settings
Note that when you are using SmartCloud Connect there should be no other software running that performs data transfer between MS Exchange and Salesforce API (e.g. Salesforce Inbox, Salesforce for Outlook, etc.) Running different MS Exchange – Salesforce sync applications simultaneously will cause sync conflicts and items duplication. If you encounter this kind of unexpected behavior, please check that with your Salesforce admin or, if you are a Salesforce admin, check for such software in the following places:
After you find apps which cause sync conflicts, please refer to this Salesforce help article to learn how to disable them.
Please also note that apps which use Salesforce API but do not exchange data between Salesforce and MS Exchange will not cause sync conflicts.